Let's Welcome BTG to the Forum!

@BTG has joined the chat! Welcome you big bear, you! We love you!

MV5BNGJmZWJkNWEtZGI0Mi00MjAxLWJkMTgtM2RlMjBhNzg0ZGJkXkEyXkFqcGdeQVRoaXJkUGFydHlJbmdlc3Rpb25Xb3JrZmxvdw@@.V1_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL

8 Likes

I love you too! And by “you” I mean “not you”.

Thank you for inviting me - I do not know what I’m doing here, so please excuse my digital newbiness. In this terrain I feel like I bring a banana to a knife fight. That said, knife fighting is my jam. And by “knife fighting”, I mean “eating fresh baked muffins”.

Difficult and painfully awkward questions only, please.

BTG

7 Likes

Welcome BTG!!! Super stoked to see you here :grin:

3 Likes

Who doesn’t like freshly baked muffins.

Glad to see you here.

3 Likes

Look at all the love the bear gets! @BTG for the win! When you coming on the show next big guy?

2 Likes

Very soon - Next week I hope!
:+1::bear::+1:

5 Likes

BTG in the brommunity, this is exactly what we needed :fire:

2 Likes

That’s right, Baby!
BTG is a giant lemonade enema - Making everyone feel happy since 1855 … which is how old i feel after my 21 surgeries and 7 treatments for rabies.

2 Likes

What are you currently working on BTG?

2 Likes

Don’t forget to tag a mofo :relaxed::relaxed: @BTG

1 Like

Well, I just had a big wildlife expedition shut down for network budget reasons, which is a bummer. But I have a few other things on my plate right now, including a nonfiction book I’m writing about a young woman I know who suffered a serious brain injury, and a movie about the Tlingit people of Southeast Alaska.

How about you, Mate? What is your current project?

BTG

2 Likes

I don’t know what the hell you are talking about, Mate. I’m 50 goddamn years old, and have had 7 treatments for rabies. You’re gonna have to spell out your digital mojo to me!

2 Likes

FYI: Eating a muffin is the official BTG salute. And yes, I am starting a muffin cult.
@Retep

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about the cancellation. That’s a huge bummer. Your other projects sound great though. You sure do a wide variety of work. That must be both challenging and rewarding to keep your mind going in lots of different directions.

I’ve been mostly plugging away at my historical work researching and writing about antique weapons. I’ve had some really fascinating pieces across my desk recently, including a Smith & Wesson revolver shipped to Theodore Roosevelt’s while he was training the Rough Riders down in Texas before they shipped off for the Spanish-American War.

I have another project I’ll share with the Wild Times folks once it’s public.

3 Likes

How truly fascinating - What an extraordinary piece of history to hold in your hands!

I’ve always had a fondness for the bulky old British Webley Revolvers, myself. Such sturdy yet somehow elegant handguns that were, well before my time, standard issue to Australian officers as well. I received a Browning 9mm during my time in the Paras, which had no personality at all.

1 Like

The classic Browning Hi-Power has some charm and was innovative when it first came out. Did they at least give you one in decent shape? Some of the guys I know were issued old worn out Berettas.

1 Like

It wasn’t new out of the box, but it was in good shape when I received it, and I took good care of it for two more years. It shot well but, to be honest, other than quarterly range qualifying shoots, I pretty much never used it. Outside of CQB, a 9mm handgun is simply not a battlefield weapon/caliber anymore.
Compared to the 7.62 MAG 58s, .223 FN MiniMis, and Aug Steyrs with SS109 ammo, a 9mm pistol made no sense.
Great for jungle recons though …

1 Like

I’m mostly a black powder guy, so nothing I shoot is remotely practical. The rifle in that picture is an original from around 1840-1850.

1 Like

Hahah - Outstanding!