Great to be a part of the BROMMUNITY!

Hello everyone! I grew up on a bison farm in Minnesota so I’ve been interacting with animals since I can remember. Im a dog groomer, have three dogs and have a big collection of fish tanks. My most prized fish is my fire eel that is 2 feet long along with my spotted Congo puffer I adopted. I also live close to a wildlife refuge that currently is having its big Sandhill crane migration and every night I’m out hiking watching them fly in for the night. During the summer I live more in a tent then I do my house traveling out west or going up north to the boundary waters!

2 Likes

Hello there brommunity! My name is Braighden and i’m from the island of Kaua’i! Me and my gf always trip out whenever you guys mention our small little island cuz no one ever does and if they do, it’s not as much or fun as you guys. I wonder if we have anyone in the brommunity that’s also from Hawaii? Anyways, i am a long time brosner but just recently joined the patreon and this is my first time posting anything in the brommunity. A huge reason why I love the pod and stuff is that my great grandpa was actually a wildlife biologist that, like Forrest, rediscovered a species of bird that was thought to be extinct called the Kauaʻi ʻōʻō and was actually the only person to get one on film. Love you all and if any of you have any questions about Kauai, feel free to ask!

2 Likes

Hey brother. Thanks for the invite! Excited to see what kind of fuckery we can all get up to here:)

1 Like

This is going to end up a very long thread. I’m honored to be on it when its only 23 messages long (assuming i type fast). See, i work manufacturing at 6 am EST but we’re in “hurry up and wait” mode so have a jump start on all my West Coast competitors. Anyway, introduce myself? Um. I’m a lifelong learner, obviously fond of animals and YouTube. Also fond of history, archeology, paleontology, all science really. Oh! I am a big fan of Willy Ley, who helped kick the ball off on “romantic zoology” back in the 50s. Anyone else here a fan? I remember finding my first Ley book. THE LUNGFISH, THE DODO, AND THE UNICORN. It was a happy accident in a used bookstore. Some wonderful person set the book up high on a little display. Im eternally grateful to that unknown person in a town i don’t remember.
Oh and ive read LAST CHANCE TO SEE by Douglas Adams. The Hitchhiker’s Guide author. Anyone else? Im a reader and consumer of good info. I really haven’t had the opportunity for much more than that. Except when i was a volunteer at a zoo for about 4 years. Great experience. Highly recommended. That was at the Tulsa Zoo in Oklahoma. Oh, maybe i should say where i am. I am born and raised in North Carolina, where i am now.

2 Likes

If you are from Hawaii, Braighden, have you seen the YouTube video by Atlas Pro on Hawaiian Biogeography? I was enthralled. It is one of the videos that convinced me to donate to him on Patreon.

2 Likes

Jenifer, if you grew up in Minnesota, right this minute (well, after i get off the internet) im reading a book that’s heavily focused on Minnesota and midwest history with environmental history thrown in. Called PRARIE FIRES. I’m really enjoying it. I haven’t read that much on Midwestern history. It’s most immediately a biography of the LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRARIE author but is very much a history of her family’s real experiences within a historical (and environmental!) context. They travel from Lake Pepin in Wisconsin down to Missouri, over to Kansas, back to Wisconsin, then over into Minnesota, then over into Dakota Territory. Speaking of Dakota, i really appreciate the empathetic treatment of the tragic story of the various American Indians.

2 Likes

Yes i did! I felt so bad for him when he had to pronounce all the hawaiian bird names :joy: but it was a phenomenal video

1 Like

Yes! Very interesting book! For being small Midwest towns up here, the history is super cool. Growing up we spent so much time learning about it in school. Also learned a lot about making root beer as part of Minnesota history lol

1 Like

Hi friends!! Long time brostener since ep.1 - loving the growth of the pod and community. Im a lover of nature and wildlife of all kinds. Im a marriage and family therapist who finds peace and stress relief through hiking and backpacking all over the beautiful PNW. I also recently got into mushroom hunting over the past year and would love to connect with any fellow foragers!

2 Likes

Sup Brostners!

Long time brostner; started at episode 50 and have watched/listened to all the episodes. I love this podcast, honestly I have brought the Battle Royale’s to work and people love it, although an overuse of dogs and gorillas are a theme at the office.

I have two kids, one just born a month ago, and BOTH will be avid animal lovers as the oldest LOVES the zoos.

Cali-born, navy veteran, and hope to interact with more brostners and brodettes (my idea for the female crowd)

Braighden, on an entirely different track, by chance are you watching NCIS: Hawaii? I am pretty regularly. I don’t have a super high opinion of real world cops, but i am really enjoying the fantasy. NCIS: New Orleans was actually my favorite. But the reason i bring it up is they use a drone (just like EoA) to take the most outstanding shots of real locations. As far as i know, the whole show is shot on the island, but in particular when they are outside, which is often, the vistas are incredible. Which is nothing special to you except I love it that they aren’t trying to pass off some fake studio landscape. Also, drone technology has changed things SO MUCH

1 Like

Jenifer, have you read LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRARIE? That book actually describes events in Kansas. One of it’s sequels ON THE BANKS OF PLUM CREEK was literally Minnesota. None of the books say…i had to filter the information from the biography that I’m reading.

Hey there brommunity! Its me crazy Irish woman from the discord and the youtubes :raised_hands: just discovered this forum. Should be fun.

1 Like

Hello y’all my name is Brad and have been watching the pod since day 1. I’m an undergrad currently going to college for geology and hopefully a masters in paleontology. I look forward to chatting with y’all. I also can’t wait for the wild times crew to get to 100k subscribers on youtube.

3 Likes

I sadly don’t watch much tv shows based over here such as NCIS, Magnum PI or Hawaii-5-0. Dog the bounty hunter was HUGE when I was a kid though. There was also a laughable show on the History Show called American Jungle that was honestly more like parody/satire of what pig hunting is with full with clans (aka families) defending their trails from other “clans” etc. They were investigated for breaking some hunting laws and other stuff like hunting at night and killing a cow with a spear without a permit or something like that but i’m not sure if they got in trouble. The article I just looked at said Hawaii DLNR called it “inaccurate, offensive, and in some cases, potentially illegal.” so that’s pretty cool.

Ive been watching since episode 20ish. My schedule dosent allow me to watch live, and i couldnt figure discord out. Im happy to get to engage with everyone here

1 Like

Hi all, I’m Gordon and I’m an alcoholic, sorry wrong forum! Joking aside I live in England. I’ve always been fascinated with wildlife especially reptiles. Growing up my heroes were David Attenborough, Steve Irwin and Austin Stevens, I found their passion to be infectious so after discovering Extinct or Alive and getting those same vibes it wasnt long after i found the wildtimes podcast and i love it. Retep, Forrest and Patrick I thank you for making the lockdowns bearable and fun!

2 Likes

Braighden, id never heard of American Jungle. Lucky me, i guess, haha. I noticed that you said Discovery Show instead of Discovery Channel. Was that intentional? I have a very low opinion of Discovery Channel these days, and have for a while. Their Mermaid fake documentary was the last straw for me. I suppose i should be slightly more forgiving towards them, because they did bring EoA to us

1 Like

Manimal, i also have big schedule difficulties and also never figured out Discord. I have the distinction of never having tried. I might like it, probably even, but thats one more password and one more navigation i have to figure out. It’s a small wonder i joined Patreon. I’m just so tired of learning all these new everything. It’s why im still using Facebook most often of the myriad social media options. Jeez, l am now kinda identifying with Dr. Grant in the original Jurassic Park, when the helicopter was landing, and he just tied his seat belt together.

1 Like

my bad, i meant to say the History channel :joy: but yes, as a kid, i grew up watching more animal planet and discover than i did disney or anything like that. now days there is still river monsters and tanked (which i love cuz it’s fish keeping or fishing which i both do) but besides that and EoA and mysterious creatures, there isn’t much like how they had back in the day. not sure if you remember a show called The Most Extreme but it was basically a tv show version of a bizarre animal of the week but about different extreme qualities of animals in a countdown style. so the eps would be most extreme fighters or jumpers or builders etc. I’ve gotten a few of their games right from remembering random facts i’ve seen on that show