Great to be a part of the BROMMUNITY!

Damn it i should’ve said “Brornithologist”

EricH, are you from Canada originally? For some reason, your comment (F Canada winters) stuck in my head. I’m really thinking about possible alternatives to living in the U.S. because things seem to be getting worse and worse, here. Also, you mentioned reading: what are you reading at the moment? (There’s another "what are you reading " thread on here somewhere…feel free to post there)

Hey everyone!

I have loved animals since I was a little kid, and TWT feels like hanging out with buddies just talking about wildlife! My parents told me stories about finding me asleep in my room with my nose in my various animal encyclopedias and anytime I’m at the zoo, I’m their personal tour guide. I was in school for wildlife biology but honestly I don’t think that school is the path for me (any suggestions from y’all would be appreciated). I am an avid freshwater fisherman, and I paint fishing lures! If any of you are ever interested in fishing lures or in getting something airbrushed to look like a fish, let me know! I’d love to have Forrest fishing with my lures too…

Happy to be part of the Brommunity!

2 Likes

Careful, we’ve got one of those in Discord :wink:. Welcome!!

1 Like

Hey Richard!

Yes, I was born and raised in Canada (Ontario specifically, near Toronto) – that’s fair, our neighbours to the south really are a rowdy bunch and their politics provide endless entertainment for us up here in the great white north :wink:

I was reading (and just finished) “Where the Crawdads Sing” by Delia Owens – I would highly recommend to any naturalist interested in a fiction novel! The author was a zoologist by trade and the story really does revolve around and within the swamps and marshes of North Carolina, as well as the wildlife found there!

NP, your comments about freshwater fish got me thinking to a photo i took a few years and wasn’t sure what the fish was.

I was gonna ask you but instead i made a new post so other people will see it, too.
https://brommunity.wildtimes.club/t/yo-what-is-this-freshie-fish/

What do you think?

Also, have you considered working at a fish farm? As a guy that loves freshwater fishing
AND biology it seems like a cool idea.

Howdy!

I believe that is a Grass Carp, the scale shape is similar to other carp I’ve seen and the coloration matches.

I’ve thought about working at a fish farm but honestly I’m not sure how I feel about working on the same environment every day. At this point I’m thinking of going back to school and getting certified in different welding techniques. That kind of job would be needed anywhere in the world, and it would give me an opportunity to make metal sculptures. I’ve also thought about getting into fabrication for off-road vehicles.

I’m hoping that my fishing lure business continues to do well so that I can turn fishing into my career.

My bad, I really should get more involved over there

NP,
I think lots of people here would prefer we move our fish talk to my fish post. Please reply to me over there. Have you ever come across a freshwater drum AKA sheepshead AKA etc?

Never too late to start!

EricH, about you finding the US entertaining: to quote Harrison Ford: “Laugh it up, Furball”

I really appreciate that book recommendation. Partly because is set in Carolina but also because ive been trying to think of any other zoology-heavy fiction that I’ve read, and can’t think of any. Sure, lots of novels where there are zoological scenes or issues or events. Im thinking MOBY DICK and even TARZAN and JUNGLE BOOK in a way. Definitely passages in books by James Michner. But nothing where zoology is center-stage except for some speculative science fiction, involving alien life, and DOCTOR DOOLITTLE when i was a kid. I hate to say it, but as fantasy as DOCTOR DOOLITTLE is, it’s the closest thing. Again, talking fiction. JURASSIC PARK is also a distinct possibility.

I am pretty sure I’ve heard of CRAWDADS SING only because of the movie they made. Have you seen the movie version? Was it any good?

Howdy!! I’m LoneStar and not surprisingly from Texas. I have loved animals/nature since I was knee high to a raccoon and joining this awesome community and becoming a fresh Patron is really a natural progression of enjoying like minded people. Hiking, fishing (salt and fresh), hunting, and camping could be named as my favorite activities. Books and random trivia are guilty pleasures to be sure. Nice to meet y’all and look forward to “wild times” here in the Forum😎

LoneStar, welcome to the boards. I’m a little disappointed there isn’t more activity. I feel like im the only one welcoming people to the group. Maybe it takes time.

Speaking of activity, there’s a WHAT ARE YOU READING? type post somewhere on here, not too hard to find.
It’d be cool to hear from you on that.

Also, you say you fish, have you ever caught a freshwater drum? I made a post with story and pictures titled YO WHAT IS THIS FRESHIE FISH and would love your feedback over there.

And since you are from Texas, there’s a possibility you’ve seen a green jay. They’re almost nowhere in the US i think except a little in your region. I mostly ask because if you scroll up just a little ways you’ll see my brief conversation with JacobMeier about them.

Oh, and hello from North Carolina

Howdy!! Good to hear from a Brostener!! Yes I have caught many a drum, we call em gaspargoos locally, and typically I release them. I personally don’t care for the taste so they never are on the harvest list. Super fun to catch tho…

Doing some brief research on the green jay, I’m not familiar with the species. They are almost exclusively down south by the Mexican border, Dimmit County and all that region. Not far from Nuevo Laredo but from there sweeping down SE to the Gulf. I’m up in the NE corner of Texas in the Piney Woods and I’ve not spent just a ton of time down there, so it’s not a bird I’ve seen. It looks very pretty; I love the striking green/blue coloration.

LoneStar, the only reason i know of the green jay is that they had one or two in the desert building at the North Carolina Zoo in Asheboro, NC. And i made special note because they had awesome coloration, and i really like all the jays. The Tulsa Zoo in Oklahoma had some South American jays, and then i personally have been lucky enough to see some Nicaraguan magpie jays in the wild. And of course where i live we have tons of “common” blue jays. I’ve often mused how lucky i am that such a common bird in my area is so beautiful. I’m tempted to take them for granted, but then i think on it. Wait, do you have blue jays in Texas? I know they are in Oklahoma. How far are you from Oklahoma?

I’m about 2hrs south of the Okie border. So not far really…

We have a lot of blue jays in my area. Seems like I see them a bit less often than when I was a kid, but that could be due to any number of reasons. Or my memory could be off….

1 Like

Hey brosters!! I’m Matt but the user name kinda says it all. Loved Forrest on Rogan, huge comedy fan, mommies where you at! Started in on the pod and got hooked

Hey guy’s, just wanted to say hey, my names Dylan and I live in Australia. I grew up with dragons, turtles, snakes, possums etc and after chiming into the podcast ive decided to go back to university at age 29 to do a degree in zoology. You guys have really helped me make my decision to follow something im passionate about and get into the wildlife scene

1 Like

What is up Brostners! Peter W here. Thanks Retep for gathering all these fine folks here. I’m a relatively new fan of the Pod, but have been enjoying it a ton. Was super stoked to find the iNaturalist project (I’m gunning for that top spot on the Species leaderboard) and now this forum. I’m a lifelong critter-finder, especially interested in Fish, Bugs, and Herps, and am always wanting to learn from others and hear about people’s experiences out there in the wild. Glad to be a part of the Brommunity!

2 Likes

The Wild Times is the best podcast to exist! Only have been listening for just over a year but I’ve listened to every episode and couldn’t be happier. The only thing that sucks is “Was the dolphin in love with Brenner?” ~ TWT Episode 85, makes me rethink having this name. :joy:

1 Like